Senior Policy and Advocacy Officer / Policy and Advocacy Officer
Eurodad Policy and Advocacy Manager
Eurodad (the European Network on Debt and Development) is a network of 47 civil society organisations (CSOs) from 20 European countries, which works for transformative yet specific changes to global and European policies, institutions, rules and structures to ensure a democratically controlled, environmentally sustainable financial and economic system that works to eradicate poverty and ensure human rights for all.
The purpose of this role is to help ensure that Eurodads exciting work on improving the effectiveness of aid, pushing for a radical change in the way publicly-backed private finance is used and holding International Financial Institutions (IFIs) accountable is based on robustly researched analysis, with a strong advocacy focus, and that Eurodad continues to build strong coalitions for change. The role involves working directly with IFIs, strategy development, research, monitoring and analysing policy developments, information sharing, advocacy and networking.
The successful candidate will work at the cutting edge of development finance policy campaigns for transformative change. They will be responsible for advocacy, coalition building and research and will require policy analysis skills with strong interpersonal communication and be self-motivated with the ability to plan, organise and implement under their own initiative. They will have experience of working with advocacy focussed civil society groups or similar organisations and have a good working knowledge of IFIs. They will need to speak and write English to a very high standard.
Eurodad colleagues, Eurodad members and other civil society organisations in Europe, Africa, Asia and Latin America, academics and think tanks, officials in organisations such as the World Bank, IMF, European Commission and OECD.
Contract & location:
Brussels-based, permanent contract.
Competitive salary, depending on skills and experience.
Hospitalisation insurance, travel insurance and contribution to pension plan.
A. POLICY MONITORING, RESEARCH AND ANALYSIS
- Coordinate joint reports or position papers writing with allied organisations, including developing joint methodologies, streamlining of contributions, editing and identifying joint conclusions and recommendations;
- Design and conduct research, case studies and policy analysis on relevant development finance issues (both quantitative and qualitative);
- Produce reports, briefings, articles, updates and summaries based on research on current development finance processes, policies and practices;
- Keep up to date with key issues, including monitoring relevant official and civil society activities in policy areas identified as network priorities.
B. INFORMATION SHARING AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Respond to questions from Eurodad member groups and others on key issues;
- Produce, edit and put online content for Eurodads website, newsletter and other publications, including helping ensure effective dissemination to relevant networks and individuals;
- Play an active role in ensuring effective communications strategy and outreach including designing dissemination strategies and keeping the website up to date.
C. ADVOCACY AND NETWORKING
- Develop Eurodads advocacy strategies in key areas, and develop implementation plans;
- Organize, and lead advocacy meetings, including with politicians, officials and parliamentarians;
- Present Eurodad work at conferences and seminars;
- Organise, facilitate and attend meetings, conferences, teleconferences and other processes, including with Eurodad members and allies, including to agree common strategies and initiatives.
D. ADMINISTRATION AND SUPPORT TO OTHER MEMBERS OF THE TEAM
- Support fundraising activities, including by drafting relevant sections of reports and proposals;
- Contribute, as part of Eurodads team, to building team spirit by supporting colleagues and assisting with the day to day running of the office.
ROLE RELATED EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
1. ESSENTIAL SKILLS
- Strong communication skills with a very high standard of spoken and written English;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including tactful but effective facilitation to agree objectives;
- Politically sharp policy analysis skills, including an ability to analyse political and policy developments and develop strategic advocacy positions that imply transformative change;
- Strong planning and organisational skills, particularly the ability to plan and execute research that contributes to advocacy strategies, and ability to prioritise, use own initiative and work independently.
2. ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE
- At least 8 years work experience of:
- Working on policy, advocacy, or campaigning, ideally in an advocacy or campaigning civil society organisation, particularly experience of working as part of coalitions or networks;
- Research and analysis, writing briefings or reports on international development or related issues;
- Making complex topics accessible and relevant to policy audiences, including writing succinct and well-structured summaries, articles, and briefings.
- Educated to at least degree level in political sciences, economics, development studies or related subject;
- Computer literate and familiar with Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook;
- Understanding of development finance policy issues, particularly in relation to the World Bank and IMF, and contemporary policy and political debates;
- Understanding of the workings of the IMF, World Bank, European Union, OECD and other relevant multilateral institutions.
3. DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE
- Working in a developing country and/or working with organisations from the Global South;
- Knowledge of French or Spanish.
4. COMMITMENT TO EURODADS OBJECTIVES AND WILLINGNESS TO TRAVEL
Application deadline: 8th October 2017 before midnight Central European Summer Time.